The award-winning CHwB Regional Restoration Camps are back in 2016. With a series of 7 camps held across the Western Balkans, there are more opportunities than ever to get close to heritage. This year, we are also introducing new thematic Camps, which cover the classic themes, such as building conservation, along with new topics, like historical arts and crafts. Click on the links below to learn more about each type of Camp that CHwB Albania will be holding this year.
- Building conservation & interpretation
- Conservation of museum artefacts & interpretation
- Interpretation & management
- Historical arts & crafts
The 26th through 32nd Regional Restoration Camps will provide participants with engaging lectures and hands-on experience with restoration, conservation and historic crafts, using traditional materials and techniques, as well as with the interpretation and management of cultural heritage sites and museums. During each 10-day camp, participants will follow a rigorous but very fulfilling schedule, which combines theory – through lectures and presentations – with exercises and physical work on historic monuments and artefacts in Albania, Kosovo or Serbia.
Each activity will be directly helping local residents – working to preserve their historic monuments, artefacts and crafts, and giving them new ways of understanding, enjoying and revitalizing them.
Don’t miss your chance to take part in this incredible experience!
Locations, Dates & Deadlines
Be sure to pay close attention to the dates, themes and application deadline for each of the 2016 Camps:
|26th||Rogljevo, Serbia||8-21 May||Building conservation, interpretation||30 March|
|27th||Gjirokastra, Albania||15-28 May||Building conservation, interpretation||30 March|
|28th||Kruja, Albania||9-20 July||Historical arts and crafts||9 May|
|29th||Shkodra, Albania||9-20 July||Interpretation, management||9 May|
|30th||Berat, Albania||18 Sept – 1 Oct||Building conservation, interpretation||1 July|
|31st||Gjirokastra, Albania||18 Sept – 1 Oct||Building conservation, interpretation||1 July|
|32nd||Prishtina, Kosovo||8-19 Oct||Conservation of artefacts, interpretation||1 July|
While they will be conducted separately, these restoration camps form part of a region-wide push to encourage people to understand the value and learn how to care for their local heritage. The main objective is to use cultural heritage as a platform for professionals, both men and women, to meet and create conditions for building peace within a democratic society, respecting human rights, and stimulating local economic growth through the development of cultural heritage.
For Albania, this year’s Camps will be the first of an enlarged RRC program that features cooperation between CHwB Albania and the Albanian-American Development Foundation (AADF), the Albanian Ministry of Culture and the Faculty of History and Philology at the University of Tirana.
The 2016 Regional Restoration Camps are financed by the Albanian-American Development Foundation and the Government of Sweden.
Fees & Scholarships
The fee for participation in the Camps is 800 euros. This fee will cover tuition, on-site accommodation with breakfast, camp materials and tools, emergency health insurance and planned excursions. Participants will be responsible for paying for their own meals,* as well as travel to the location of the Camp. Those costs are not included in the participation fee.
For all accepted applicants from Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Greece, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania and Serbia, there will be a scholarship to cover the costs of the Camp. The scholarship will pay the full 800 euro fee.
*Note: CHwB Albania will cover meal costs only for participants of the Camp in Rogljevo, Serbia, due to the lack of dining options in the village where the Camp is located.
How to Apply
- Download the PDF application form (below)
- Fill out the application completely, including all supporting documents
- Send the entire application by email or post to:Email:
Rr. Ismail Qemali
P. 34/1, Kati III, Zyra 15
- CHwB Albania staff will confirm that we have received your application. If you do not receive a confirmation email within 1 week, please contact us at gro.b1614342653whc@C1614342653RR1614342653
We look forward to seeing you at one of the exciting Regional Restoration Camps of 2016!
For past RRC participants: If you would like to experience the Camps again, you may apply to be a volunteer leader (click here for information), or you may attend a second time by paying the full participation fee.
For former participants, CHwB is offering a special opportunity for this year’s Camps:
- Download and fill out the application form.
- Submit your application for a camp with a different theme than the you attended before. (For example, if you were at a building conservation camp, you can submit your application for the interpretation camp or the historical crafts camp.)
- Be sure to explain in your application form why you are interested in attending a second RRC with a different theme.
- We like to see familiar faces, but keep in mind that first-time applicants will still have priority.
- The same country-based eligibility requirements apply (participants from Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Greece, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania and Serbia are eligible for a free attendance).
- If you are applying to a camp with the same theme as the camp you attended before, then you must still pay the fee.